Pyrrolizidine Alkaloids (PAs)
What are Pyrrolizidine Alkaloids?
Pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs) are a group of naturally occurring alkaloids produced by plants as a defence mechanism against insects herbivores. In excessive amounts PAs cause liver damage and permissible levels are legislated for.
Typical Causes of PA Contamination
- More than 660 PAs have been identified in over 6,000 flowering plants, many of which are common weeds, and these are the major source of contamination.
- Chillies are not particularly susceptible to PA contamination as they are relatively tall plants which are hand harvested.
How does the Chilli Doctor Technical Team Manage PA Risk?
- Knowledge of the supply chain
- By undertaking a thorough assessment of suppliers to ensure that they can provide legal products before they can be approved.
- Assessing the level of supplier knowledge about the prevention of PA contamination is adequate.